Symbols Format Help
There are 2 ways to enter the symbol for Interactive Brokers.
1. Specify the complete Symbol
The symbol format is
- TYPE is STK for stocks, IND for
indexes, FUT for futures, OPT for options, CASH for FOREX.
- EXCHANGE CODE it the code you see on the EXCHANGE column on the IB TWS
NOTE NEW EXCHANGECODE FORMAT FOR VERSION 4.10 R21 or later, EXCHANGE~PRIMARYEXCHANGE
Symbols like GLD need now to define the main and primary exchange, that is done using the ~ separating the 2 exchanges symbols, then for GLD that is a SMART and primary is ARCA the symbol will be
GLD^STK^SMART~ARCA note the primary exchange code is not needed on most of the symbols, just the exchange.
- EXPIRATION is YYYYMM of the future or option expiration
- STRIKE for options type the strike price.
- PUTCAL for options type a P for put or C for cal
- CURRENCY for FOREX type other currency on the pair.
- LOCAL EXCHANGE SYMBOL (IF NEEDED) - some symbols (the underlying on IB) can have more than 1 exchange symbol, this option was added on version R86 or later.
- MULTIPLIER (Added on version 4.0 r103 or later) - Some contracts need to have the multiplier information, like Silver Futures, can be 1000 or 5000, symbol for Silver December 2013 1000 multiplier will be SI^FUT^NYMEX^201312^^^^^1000
-Note that some symbols on exchanges are
in the USA will need to use all symbol information like the SPI on SFE it will
Note we use the character ^ between fields.
For IBM stock you will have
for the S&P Mini March 03
For the Russell at NYBOT 2009/03 IB change the symbol back to the old format, use FT^FUT^NYBOT^200903, do not use RUT symbol anymore.
For option Strike will be a strike price for an option and PUTCALL will be P for Put and C for call options. Example INTEL CALL 01/2005 25.00 strike will be
NYSE TICK use TICK-NYSE^IND^NYSE
Some symbol to work in real time and be able to download historical data need to use not regular exchanges, example is the GLD, needs to use GLD^STK^ISLAND.
DAX^FUT^DTB^200812^^^EUR^FDAX DEC 08
ESTX50^FUT^DTB^200812^^^EUR^FESX DEC 08
GBL^FUT^DTB^200812^^^EUR^FGBL DEC 08
SMI^FUT^SOFFEX^200812^^^CHF^FSMI DEC 08
Z^FUT^LIFFE^200812^^^GBP^ZZ8 or Z^FUT^LIFFE^200812^^^GBP
Z^IND^LIFFE^^^^GBP^Z or Z^IND^LIFFE^^^^GBP
For FOREX DATA (version 58 or later) use SYMBOL^TYPE^EXCHANGECODE^^^^CURRENCY, example: USD/JPY will be
For the EUR/USD use
You cannot use this format on Futures Groups.
2. The other way is let FT find the symbol.
Do not use this way number 2 for options, FOREX or future symbols that need complete symbol information like the RUT or the SPI at SFE. For these symbols use the way number 1 above.
Select the Exchange, the program will know the IB code of the exchange or check the Edit Exchanges window to check this parameter. Select Stocks on the Folder, for IB always select Futures, Indexes or Stocks then FT will know if needs to use STK, FUT or IND for the symbol. Then on this case FT will create the symbol CSC and will do the correct connection with IB using CSC^STK^SMART
For the S&P Mini use the Future Groups, click on File, Futures, then on New Futures Group.
FT will create the symbols ES^FUT^GLOBEX^200303 , ES^FUT^GLOBEX^200306, ES^FUT^GLOBEX^200309,.......
* Trading any market carries a high level of risk, and may not be suitable for all investors. The high degree of leverage can work against you as well as for you. Before deciding to invest you should carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite.
* The possibility exists that you could sustain a loss of some or all of your initial investment and therefore you should not invest money that you cannot afford to lose. You should be aware of all the risks associated with trading, and seek advice from an independent financial advisor if you have any doubts.
* The Views and opinions represented in the provided website links and resources are not controlled by the Referring Broker or the FCM. Further, the Referring Broker and the FCM are not responsible for their availability, content, or delivery of services.
* You should be aware of all the risks associated with foreign exchange, futures, stocks, options, Cryptocurrencies trading, and seek advice from an independent financial advisor if you have any doubts. We do not offer any advise and trade using our software is at your own risk.
Copyright © 1996-2018
Fibonacci Trader Corp.